Tonight I watched the Soul Train Awards Show on BET’s new network, Centric. Unlike so many, I’m not as critical of BET so I am not going to put them on blast nor will I say what they should’ve done. I will say this much….. It seems like whenever an award show is held in Atlanta, Atlanta artists are winners. If it’s in New York, New York artists are winners.
There is no way in the world that you can convince me that Keri Hilson deserved to win the only awards that were handed out. With that being said on to my favorite moments.
- Toni Braxton & “Baby” Trey Songz– I watched this anticipated kiss and the kiss was nothing. Yall (fans) know you were wrong for hyping this up.
- Hal Linton & Melanie Fiona- If you do not know who they are, read up on them. They are the future of Soul Music and you can quote me on that.
- Boyz II Men- Always a pleasure to see them do what they do. Artist like them remind me of why I fell in love with music in the first place. I feel like we’ve grown up together. They’re my childhood friends.
- Chrisette Michele- How many ways can I say underrated. This is another artist that you should look up if you don’t know who she is. Shame on you if you’ve never listened to her music.
- Raheem Devaughn- His song “Bulletproof” with Ludacris is our generations “What’s going on” and he is speaking the truth. I love a man who stands for something.
- The Chaka Khan Tribute- Can we say Soulful. A tribute fitting for a true diva and Ms. Chaka is a diva in the purist sense of the word. I have a newfound respect for Erykah Badu. I have never heard her sing with so much soul without thinking about incense. Fantasia did her thang, now if only she could stop screaming. Ledisi….another one yall need to watch out for. Last but never least, Angie Stone, who is looking good.
- Taraji and Terrence- I loved the chemistry so much I’m wondering if they’re a couple. Taraji’s comedic timing is perfect and she got a decent voice on her. Terrence was suave as usual. I can’t wait for him to play a pimp in a movie…wait, he did that already.
Overall, The Soul Train Awards did what it set out to do…..entertain me. Hopefully you saw it too.